10 Terrific Ways to Fight Fatigue
07th Feb, 2017
As a healthcare professional, one of the biggest challenges you will face is fatigue. You are regularly working long hours and varied shift patterns that could run through the day or night. In this field, it’s crucial that you are feeling rested and alert as it affects more than just you; it can affect your patients and their care too.
You may be thinking that tiredness is inevitable when you work in healthcare, but you can do more than simply increase your sleep to help refuel your tank and raise your energy levels.
Here are some of our favourite tips….
- Drink plenty of water- this is so much more effective in the long term than drinking coffee or other highly caffeinated drinks, as they will only give you a quick burst of energy.
- You always hear about the importance of breakfast for your metabolism, but it’s also good for waking up your brain. Try swapping sugary cereals to a protein based breakfast, as this will provide you with energy for a longer period of time.
- If your work schedule allows it, eat smaller meals every 3-4hours rather than three large meals. With your snacks, try to include fruit, vegetables, grains and anything high in fibre and protein. You could make snack pots at home using dried peas, nuts, seeds or dried fruit to carry around with you.
- Exercise! This may sound odd if you’re trying to gain energy, but it does work. Even doing a miniscule 15 minutes a day can help to wake your mind (walking around at work doesn’t count as your body gets used to this), especially if you do it at the start of the day. It’s even better if you can exercise outside as not getting enough sunlight (or vitamin D) can make you feel tired.
- If you’re aware you need to lose weight, try your best to lose it. When you’re over weight, it’s common to feel lethargic.
- Finally…sleep! Getting enough shut-eye plays a major role in your energy levels. Go to bed and get up at the same time- you will notice a huge difference. Of course, you may need a couple of different bed times if you’re doing shift work, but try to stick to the same time where you can.
If you are struggling with fatigue, why not look at our locum positions for more control over your shifts.
You can also contact us on +61 02 9411 7440 or email [email protected] to find our more.
Send your CV straight to the right person
International Women’s Day 2023: 5 ways we’re empowering women in the workplace
08 March 2023
This International Women’s Day, discover how we’ve made Your World an empowering workplace for women.
by Rachel Lamb
Celebrating the LGBTQ+ community
15 February 2023
This month we’re celebrating LGBT+ History Month. But what exactly is it and why is it so important?
by Rachel Lamb
Platinum Pass: HealthTrust-Total Workforce Solutions Audit
16 January 2023
Your World Recruitment is proud to announce that we have successfully achieved a Platinum pass on our recent HealthTrust-Total Workforce Solutions II Lot 4b NMNC Framework audit.
by Alex King
How to get graduate physiotherapy jobs in the UK
06 January 2023
Starting out as a graduate Physiotherapist can feel daunting to say the least. After years of hard work and study, you’re finally ready to take those first tentative steps into a professional career. But where to start?
by Rachel Lamb