How To Improve Your English
08th Dec, 2015
Life in a new country can be a struggle at first. Different cultures, different food, new lifestyles and a new language!
Here at Your World Healthcare, we’re always looking for ways of improving your relocation process, so we’ve compiled a list of tips to aid you in achieving the skills you need to do so:
- Don’t be afraid to make mistakes when speaking. You’re more likely to remember it once you know the correct way
- Try Audiobooks – it will help you get comfortable with the accent and the phonetics of the language, even your unconsciousness can help you study! (there has been some research into learning a language whilst asleep: http://www.forbes.com/sites/daviddisalvo/2014/07/28/how-to-really-learn-a-foreign-language-while-you-sleep/)
- Read out loud in English! It will give you confidence and you will feel assured of yourself when approaching others.
- Follow soap operas on the TV – it will introduce you to cultural environments, local accents and to different slangs/abbreviations
- Conversation lessons – if your problem is speaking you may want to try these. You can arrange for this to be done via Skype
- English Speaking Mode – Try thinking in English from the start, instead of thinking in your mother language. Translate it and then speak
- Specialist English Course – Consider taking an online English Course that is tailor-made for your area of work
There are plenty of mobile apps and computer software available which can also teach you a new language (some free, some subscription) to consider.
We hope these steps have been of use and that you feel more confident in your move!
Send your CV straight to the right person
Occupational Therapy Show 2017
20 November 2017
On 22nd & 23rd November, we’ll see you at stand K62!
by James Stanyer
Inspired creations to help children through cancer treatment
17 November 2017
Because no-one should lose their childhood to an illness
by Rachel Schacter