Are You Wearing the Right Scrubs for Your Body Type?
23rd Feb, 2017
We can probably all agree that scrubs are not the most flattering clothing choices in the world, right? As nurses, radiographers, doctors and a variety of other healthcare professionals, wearing scrubs is pretty much a necessity but that doesn’t mean you can’t make the most of your natural shape whilst doing so.
As it’s currently London Fashion Week, we thought we’d highlight some of the main body types and how you can wear scrubs that will accentuate your shape and make you feel fantastic!
Do you know your shape?
Choosing the right scrubs starts with understanding your physical shape. Men and women come in all shapes and sizes – there is certainly no one right way to look! There are; however, right ways to dress for your body type. The main body types for women are:
- Rectangle (athletic)
- Triangle (pear)
- Inverted triangle
- Round (apple)
Hourglass body shape – your bust and hips are nearly the same size with a well-defined waist.
Rectangle – your bust and hips are roughly the same with little or no waist definition.
Triangle – your shoulders are narrower than your hips at their widest point.
Inverted Triangle – your hips are narrower than your shoulders with slight waist definition.
Round – you have a wide torso with a fuller bust, waist and upper back. Your arms and legs tend to be thinner.
What should hourglass body types wear?
- High-waist, straight leg trousers to draw the eye to your middle
- Scoop t-shirts or V-necklines
- Avoid shapeless, oversized items
What should rectangle body types wear?
- A jacket to break up the body and create a defined waist
- Scrubs that cinch your middle, then flare at the bottom
- Boot-cut trousers
- Avoid oversized/flowy items that eliminate shape
What should triangle body types wear?
- Darker trousers with a wide leg for a longer, slimmer look
- Boat neck tops to broaden shoulders and balance fuller hips
- Hip-length jackets
- Avoid skinny-fit trousers and oversized tops
What should inverted-triangle body types wear?
- Darker colours on top and brighter on the bottom
- Wide leg trousers and high waists
- Tops that draw attention to the waist
- Avoid high or boat necklines
- Avoid any tops that draw attention to your shoulders
What should round body types wear?
- Empire line items to conceal bulge
- One colour throughout the body
- Boot cut or flared trousers
- V neck tops
- Avoid tight-fit trousers and tops
No matter what shape you fall under, remember to love your body! It’s easy to compare yourself to the men and women featured in movies and magazines, but the real world is full of multiple shapes, each one unique and lovely.
Want some more great advice from Your World? Check out our tips for staying energised at work or quick and healthy meals to eat before and after shifts!
Send your CV straight to the right person
A Thank You to you all
01 May 2020
Looking at the statistics from the other side. We spoke to Bill Gerrard, a Professor of Economics, who has been analysing the figures and impact of social distancing but with regards to lives saved.
by James Stanyer
Ways to combat stress
15 April 2020
With "Stress Awareness Month" being held every April in the UK since 1992, Your World couldn't think of a better time to offer you a helping hand.
by James Stanyer
The true meaning of hard work
20 March 2020
Do you need a little career motivation? Your World's Business Director, Simon Ryan, has a few words of advice for you.
by Suzie Lemons
Working and living as an Indian nurse in the UK
06 March 2020
Are you an Indian nurse looking to progress your nursing career in the UK? Find out what it’s like to work and live as an overseas nurse in Wales.
by Suzie Lemons